Remote Consultations with our Acupuncturists
In light of the current outbreak of novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), we are implementing remote consultations. This will allow people to receive guidance, support and instructions for self-treatment if they can’t access the clinic. This may be due to self-isolation, quarantine or not being able to attend the clinic for any other reason.
The guidance and treatment approaches we offer are based on the diagnostic framework of traditional Chinese medicine. They are designed to improve your overall health and wellbeing. There is no evidence that they are effective in the treatment of COVID-19.
Self-treatment options will not involve needles – we may recommend any of the following techniques:
- Acupressure / self-massage – using your hands, some kind of tool or ‘ear seeds’ that we can send to you. We will teach you the best points to use for your particular condition.
- Moxibustion – a heating therapy – if relevant for your condition we can supply moxa and teach you the location and method for safe application.
- Gua sha – a scraping therapy – we can make suggestions for household items to use and teach you the location and method.
- Qigong – exercises that combine postures or movements with breathing and intention (and sometimes sound/vibration).
- Dietary or other lifestyle changes – tailored to you to suit your constitution and condition, according to the principles of traditional Chinese medicine.
How will it work?
We will conduct the remote consultations by video conferencing. You do not need to set up an account – we will send a link to join the video call in your confirmation email. You will need:
- Internet access
- A compatible device (computer with webcam, smartphone or tablet)
The consultation will last 1 hour and will involve asking lots of questions about your condition and your health in general. We may supplement this with a questionnaire.
Afterwards, usually within a couple of days, we will send you a detailed report of our findings with recommendations for self-treatment. This will be supported by either video instructions or a follow up call to teach you any point locations or techniques you will need to know. If we recommend any techniques that require a certain degree of competence to be safe, we will watch and coach you through performing the technique.
If there is any equipment we need to send you, you should usually expect to receive it within one week – there may be an additional cost to cover equipment and postage costs, which we will agree with you in advance.
Please note that this is a new service we are trialling. There may be some teething issues and technical hurdles in the early stages. Remote consultations are not ideal – we would much prefer to see patients in person – but we recognise that this may not always be possible, especially during the current pandemic. Here are the precautions we are taking in clinic to minimise the risk to our patients.
We need to take payment in advance for this service – this is handled at the time of booking. If you miss your appointment, you will forfeit the cost of the appointment. If you have technical difficulties joining the video call, you will need to contact us by email within the first 10 minutes of your session to qualify for your appointment to be rescheduled or refunded. Otherwise appointments can be rescheduled up to 24 hours in advance.
If you would like to arrange a remote consultation, please use the booking form below.